Mobile Learning Lesson Plans
I teach an Integrating Technology Into the Classroom course for the Boise State Universities EdTech graduate program. As part of the course, students are given a choice menu of options for integrating technology into their respective content areas. One of these choices is to develop a Mobile Learning Lesson Plan. This is the template they are asked to follow:
- Content Area:
- Grade Level or Target Group:
- Pre Planning
- Big Idea(s):
- Essential Questions:
- Lesson Opening
- Lesson Opening (The Hook): Include a least one content-area app to gain students’ interest.
- Lesson Body
- Explanation: Include at least one content-area app that provides an explanation of the concepts
- Check for Understanding: Include at least one content-area app “tests” student knowledge of the concepts.
- Extended Practice: Include at least one content-area app that assists students in getting more practice in applying content-related concepts.
- Lesson Closing: Include at least one content-area app that assists students creating a project – producing a project that integrates and demonstrates the lesson’s concepts.
What follows are some examples from students who selected this option.
Poetry In Motion
- Poetry is “Found” Everywhere
- The Power of Expression (word choice / word combinations)
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge states, “Poetry: the best words in the best order.” Why is word choice especially important to poetry?
- Marshall Mcluhan states, “The medium is the message.” Does the “medium” influence how the message is perceived?
Mobile Learning for Writing
- Different pre-planning and organization methods are used based on the reasons for writing and the intended audience.
- How does the style and genre we choose to write in effect the message?
- How do different organization structures support different writing genres?
Writing a Paragraph
- Begin by brainstorming, move on to main idea and supporting details, conclusion, and eventually write a complete how-to paragraph.
- Why do writers need to make sure their writing is effective?
Sight Word Writing for Kindergarten
- Learning and practicing sight words helps students not only read at grade level, but also helps students express their ideas to produce pieces of legible, coherent writing.
- What does the word start with?
- What do you hear at the beginning?
- What sounds do you hear?
- What do you need in between your words when writing a sentence?
English Language Learning
English through Social Media on a Mobile Phone
- Language learners can improve their English language skills and increase their global awareness by interacting with English-based, social media platforms.
- How can language learners express their ideas and opinions in response to authentic social media discourse?
- To what extent can language learners accurately express their ideas and opinions in response to authentic social media discourse?
- Can this type of lesson help language learners such as those students in the Academic Bridge Program achieve course learning objectives?
Money Management Mobile Learning Activity
- Mobile apps allow students anytime/anywhere access to money managementinformation and tools.
- What are the core concepts that make up money management?
- What can one do to better manage their money?
- Students learn concepts of money management.
- Students increase their ability in money management.
- Students are more confident when it comes to managing their money.
Solving Multiple Step Equations: Mobile Device Lesson
- Students will be able to undo the math operations and keep the equation balanced to solve for the variable.
- What is the process to solve for the missing variable?
- Is there a pattern in solving for the variable?
- How does PEMDAS work when solving for the missing variable?
Art and Design
Digital Restaurant Flyer
Using mobile technology, learners will develop conceptual, organizational, marketing, and artistic skills while producing a tangible digital composition in a real-world, design scenario.
- How can mobile technology be used to create an artistic design?
- How can mobile technology be used to develop an individual’s conceptual, developmental, and artistic skills?
- How can multiple mobile technologies be combined to make one, cohesive artistic design?
- How does the style and content of a design affect the overall perception and effectiveness of a marketing piece?
- What role does organization play in executing a design from the development of a design to the final delivery?