Educational Reform ala 321 Fastdraw
The following animated 321 Fastdraw is actually a promotion for Montessori schooling but that is not revealed until the last frames. The video is a powerful statement of why educational reform is needed and what the qualities are for good education. It is a must watch:
Suggested changes include:
- Un-standardize education, personalize it, humanize it.
- Group the ages together (not by chronological age).
- Let there be a wide and varying mix of activities going on (in the learning environment).
- Let teaching, learning, leadership, systems thinking, community be part of the fabric of the classroom environment.
- It should feel like a family, your family, not a factory.
- Throw out the tests. Let students do hands-on, meaningful, real world projects where they can figure out what works and what doesn’t, what’s successful and what fails.
- Let students own their learning.
- School should be filled with awe, wonder,and joyful learning.
These qualities or characteristics should be found in any learning environment. I do see Montessori, as Trevor Eissler promotes, as being a viable approach and discuss it further in Montessori Methods – Worth a (Re)Look.